To improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
A community where individuals and families achieve their potential through education, financial stability and healthy living.
- Respect: We uphold the dignity of every individual. We incorporate diverse perspectives, knowledge and experiences in our work. We value the diverse missions and expertise of our community partners.
- Integrity: Our interactions with individuals and institutions are honest and ethical. We fulfill our commitments and promises.
- Service: Giving one’s time, talent or treasure for the sake of another or for the common good is essential to a vibrant, healthy community. Compassion and caring for others inspire our individual and collective efforts.
- Accountability: Our decisions and actions conform not only to planned outcomes, but also to applicable legal and fiscal requirements. We publicly account for our performance and results.
- Stewardship: We are highly responsible trustees of financial and in-kind support. Resources the community contributes to United Way are wisely invested and managed.
RUW DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
Rappahannock United Way recognizes that structural racism, ethnic discrimination and other forms of oppression in our communities have contributed to racial disparities. These disparities have existed in the past and persist in the present. We acknowledge that such policies and practices have resulted in the marginalization of entire populations of people.
At Rappahannock United Way, we, the staff and Board of Directors:
Envision a community where individuals and families achieve their potential through education, financial stability and healthy living;
Oppose all forms of prejudice, discrimination, antagonism or exclusion based on race, ethnicity or any human diversity that has historically constituted barriers to the open consideration of different points of view, perspectives and lived experiences;
Value the rights of each individual and the differences in people that make them unique. Such differences bring innovation, multiple approaches to problems and consideration of different points of view, which bring better outcomes for the communities we serve;
Embrace the power of diversity by being an organization with a wide range of human differences. This includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious value systems, national origin, personal life experiences, geographic and socioeconomic backgrounds, cultural backgrounds, educational achievements and political beliefs;
Strive to mirror the makeup of the community in both our staff and Board of Directors;
Implement strategies to integrate diversity and inclusion into all systems, policies, practices, behaviors and partnerships of the organization;
Enrich our community by maintaining a culture of inclusion and respect for each other to reach common goals and outcomes, thus ensuring the overall success of our community.
Rappahannock United Way:
- Is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Recognizes that healthy diversity means diverse points of view and thus listens carefully and values all opinions and eliminates unnecessary barriers to success
- Refuses to engage in or tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment of or by RUW employees or volunteers.
RUW STATEMENT OF POSITION ON HARASSMENT
At Rappahannock United Way, we have no tolerance for discrimination or harassment of any kind. Our mission is to “improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.”
Our focus is serving the Greater Fredericksburg Area and to build a community that is hopeful, resilient and self-sufficient. We do this by working alongside community partners to ensure more equitable access to opportunities for all.
Rappahannock United Way is one of nearly 1,800 locally-run member organizations of United Way Worldwide and is an independent 501(c)(3) with our own governance structure. We are a separate and independent organization that is governed by a local board of volunteer directors, who have ultimate authority over our United Way.
Rappahannock United Way has a written policy in the Human Resources Employee Handbook that states the organization’s intolerance of any form of sexual harassment in the workplace.
Our sexual harassment guidelines are based on rules and procedures established by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
We require employees to adhere to the organization’s Code of Ethics and have procedures in place to respond to any conduct that is outside of that scope of behavior. In light of allegations of harassment at United Way Worldwide, we are working to ensure those policies and procedures are acknowledged by all staff and regularly updated as necessary.
We have received the following statement from UWW, which has indicated these allegations are currently under a third-party investigation. We have no additional details to add at this time.